Anita Christy, Executive Director
New Beginnings Pregnancy and Parenting Center, Payson, Arizona
“Do Not Confuse Legal With Safe.” American College of Pediatricians
“Those whose minds are steeped in cannabis are capable of quite extraordinary criminality.” Judge Anthony Niblett
“While laboratory animals are an expensive way of understanding the risk of cannabis use, North Americans come free.“
New Beginnings Pregnancy and Parenting Center is a pro-life, non-profit 501(c)3 Christian ministry serving Payson and the surrounding Rim Country communities. We provide unconditional acceptance and assistance to women and men experiencing planned and unplanned pregnancies. We support all families, including mothers, fathers, grand-parents, singles, and teens. Through our volunteer lay counselors and curricula we offer factual information regarding pregnancy, fetal development, child development, parenting, adoption, sexual health and integrity, life skills, and more.
Part of our curriculum warns of the dangers of alcohol, smoking, and drugs on pregnant mothers and their developing babies. Our curriculum also warns young people, teens, and preteens of the serious risks of substance abuse.
This paper investigates the negative outcomes and serious dangers of exposure to marijuana, specifically THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), to pregnant and nursing mothers as well as to anyone under the age of 25.
One might ask “Aren’t opioids much more dangerous”? Yes, but the public is very aware of the dangers inherent in meth, cocaine, heroin, and the abuse of prescription medications, etc. In the case of marijuana, the public can legitimately say, “Well, recreational marijuana is legal in all these states, so it must be safe.”
IT ISN’T “SAFE” AT ALL
Ms. Bryn Spejcher stabbed her boyfriend 108 times, after experimenting with marijuana for the first time,. “She was hallucinating and hearing voices telling her to ‘Keep fighting! Keep doing what you’re doing’! The more violent she was, the more she was ‘coming back to life.’” Is it right that she was charged with murder? How could she have known she could possibly experience a ‘psychotic break’? Isn’t marijuana prescribed as “medicine”? Isn’t it a safe “recreational” drug in California where this took place?
Unaware of the dangers, more teens than ever are experimenting with marijuana, with its much higher levels of THC, since legalization of recreational marijuana in 11 states plus Washington, D.C. The serious dangers to unborn babies, children, and anyone under the age of 25, of smoking, ingesting, and/or inhaling marijuana are emerging.
This paper presents hundreds of medical and scientific studies, as well as individual cases, which clearly indicate that marijuana use has very serious side effects, some of which are irreversible. I have included only a small fraction of the vast number of resources available. You needn’t read all of the following to gain a clear understanding of the short-term and long-term effects of using marijuana (THC).
- Higher rates of depression, hyperactivity, inattention, and even psychosis for children born to moms who smoked or ingested marijuana during pregnancy. Some studies are beginning to show a relationship between marijuana and autism;
- For anyone under the age of 25, cognitive deficiencies, reshaping of brain matter, the lowering of a person’s IQ, medical diseases, mental issues, increased risk of anxiety, depression, paranoia, hormone imbalances, and other aspects of functioning and well-being;
- The likelihood of addiction and eventual experimentation with opioids, especially for those who start young;
- Increased risk of developing Schizophrenia and Psychosis leading to all forms of violence, including Suicides, Homicides, Attempted Murders, Infanticide, and Sexual Violence.
You may be asking yourself, “With all this evidence linking high-potency marijuana to permanent damage to brain function, serious medical conditions, increased hospitalizations, psychosis, and violence, why doesn’t the general public know about it?
1) Marijuana is a huge multi-billion dollar business that needs a solid growing market, and that means gaining young customers who can be counted on to increase their demand, through addiction, for marijuana products. See articles below under VII. MARIJUANA IS A HUGE MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS.
2) Marijuana has an enormous lobby of wealthy backers who masquerade as “experts” that twist and distort studies, including the Drug Policy Alliance. George Soros is the Drug Policy Alliance’s Chairman.
3) Many lawmakers receive large donations from the Marijuana Industry.
4) The media and entertainment industry are biased in favor of marijuana and haven’t warned you; otherwise, you would have heard about it. For example, Arianna Huffington of the Huffington Post is an honorary board member of Soros’s Drug Policy Alliance. “Part of the group’s clever marketing scheme included making Arianna Huffington an honorary member of the Board of Directors, assuring that articles from her website can push its agenda.”